1.26.2015
This past week has been so full of incredible blessings. We had a farewell dinner at the O'Keeffe's home for Anziano Orfila who left for Taranto on Wednesday. It was really nice; Damyan came with us, and it was a really special night. Sometimes coming to a new city can be hard at first, but when you leave it feels like you were only there for two weeks, and all the sacrifices you made were totally worth it. I know Anziano Orfila worked super hard, and was really blessed for his service in Malta. He knocked on Damyans door 5 weeks before I got here and baptized him my first week here. We had a great dinner altogether and afterwards Sister O'Keeffe said, "I never thought we would have found another grandson in Malta."
On Thursday I got my new companion Anziano Rasband. We have only been together for 4 days, but we are already brothers. I have learned just a little bit about his life before the mission, and I was shocked. After he graduated high school in Maryland, he went to BYU for one year, and then did 1 year of active duty in the Navy. He he studying flight engineering and has some big dreams. I have no doubt in my mind he can achieve them too.
We have been so blessed working together the past 4 days, and I know it is because of the Spirit that Anziano Rasband brought with him. Nothing is a coincidence in missionary work. For example, President De Carlo talked with one of his coworkers from Bosnia this week about the church, and he texted us his phone number. We gave him a call and he came to church Sunday for our Branch Conference. It was a wonderful meeting, and I know he really enjoyed it. Both President and Sister Waddoups gave excellent talks that I took a lot away from. One story President Waddoups shared really touched me. He began doing his family history as a 17 year old kid and never found a name. He searched on his mission too, since it was close to where his ancestors were from and never found a name. In college he took a famiy history class and never found a name. He went to Switzerland where his ancestors were from and he couldnt translate what he found, and the churches with the information he needed were closed. So he left a note outside the church family history center with with 2 euro and a return address asking for a response if someone could help him. A couple months later, a member in Switzerland sent him 104 names ready to take to the temple. He said, "I never was able to do it on my own, but the Lord helped me find someone who could help me." It was such a profound lesson that I will never forget.
We also had a quite awkward experience this week as well. We recieved a referral from a guy in Balzan. We knocked on the door and an old man walked out and was pretty rude to us and just told us to go away. As he said that he shut the door and left the house. Once he was out of site, I told Anziano Rasband we should try again because maybe his son was the one who made the request on the internet. We knocked on the door again, and a woman answered the door. She said the name was her son's and she would go get him. I was feeling so inspired and excited. Turns out his friend requested us to go to his house as a prank on him, but he invited us in for a drink anyway. 2 minutes later his dad walked back in the house from buying bread, and I thought we were dead. It was so awkward. I realized I just need to stop trying to be the hero all the time.
Sunday night we planned for the week, and we set some lofty goals. I looked at Anziano Rasband and said, "We can do it man." Then he said, "Us and the Spirit." That is probably the most important lesson I have learned on my mission. I cant do anything without the Spirit. It is a gift every member of the church has. It was similar to the lesson that President Waddoups taught in Branch Conference. I couldnt be luckier to have better leaders or companions. Have a good week!
Anziano Smith
Rome Time
No comments:
Post a Comment