(photos all from previous weeks!)
1/5/2015
Today we have a very busy pday planned, so I don't have much time to write.
Our New Years Eve/Day celebration was nothing special as we were in the apartment the whole time, but the rest of the week was eventful. I was able to do an exchange with Anziano Carr for the first time which was a great experience. He is from Missouri and has been on his mission one transfer longer than me. We visited Paul and read Alma 32 together talking about developing the faith to keep Gods commandments. He came to church Sundaymorning after working the night shift Saturday night and into Sunday morning. I think that was the third time in five weeks he has done that too. He is probably teaching us a lot more than we are teaching him. Its gone that way a lot on my mission.
This week the senior couple went up to Rome to get some paperwork done, and they brought back our mail from the mission office. I got a couple of letters for Christmas, and they brightened my week a ton. I know that a couple things people have sent still havent gotten here, but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who wrote something or has prayed for me or anything. I have felt the love and prayers of other people so many times on my mission that has kept me going, and it means the world to me. This week we met with a man from Nigeria who left everything to come and work here in Malta. He is working all day, renting a room in an apartment, and doesnt have any family or friends here. I asked him why he doesnt go back home, and his answer really humbled me. He said that he could go back if he wanted, but he could only make enough money to support himself, but if he came here he could save to send his nieces and nephews to school and put food on the table for his family. He said that he could not do what he was doing right now if it were not for his great love and care for his family. I could really relate to that, and it touched me. It is amazing what the love for our family can move us to do. I shared that while teaching young mens class this week in church. The lesson was titled "Why is Jesus Christ important to me?" At the end of the lesson we watched the Bible Video "My Kingdom is not of This World" and I invited the Chati and Damyan to think what the love of the Savior moved him to do for them, and what they can do in return for him and set some goals for the new year. I encourage everyone to do the same.
Happy New Years,
Anziano Smith
Rome Time


Please tell Patty and Steve Hancock, Zoey, Vivi and Selene say hi!
ReplyDelete