PAGES

SOCIAL

Malta | week 13

Sunday, January 4, 2015

12/22/2014


This week was nothing short of amazing. When I wrote home last week I was sitting in the mission office in Rome, and those two days I had in Rome were two of the most special days of my mission. 

First of all, Francesco is way to nice. We met up and went out to lunch, and he gave me several things for Christmas. I was with Anziano Carr and Hancock, and it was the first time for both of them in Rome so Francesco showed us his work and some of the touristy places nearby. 

Afterwards, we headed back to the office where I met up with Anziano Hatch, and we were companions for the next 2 days pretty much. He is in a trio with the other 2 assistants right now, and since they were down in Sicily he was staying with Anziano Stevens, a senior missionary who is working in the office. Anyways, that Monday night I wanted to go out and work with Anziano Hatch so bad, but he obviously couldnt get around because of his foot. We had to drive to Termini though to pick up a missionary who had to go back home to the north to renew his visa, and his train didnt get in until 930. We got their around 845, and we just sat down somewhere. Over the next hour, 3 people came over and approached us and started conversations. That literally never happens. It was such a powerful witness to me that God gives us according to our desires. 

By the time we dropped off the other missionary at his apartment and got to where Anziano Hatch is staying with Anziano Stevens, it was 11. Our key wasnt working to get in the apartment and so we had to ring the doorbell and wake him up. That night was absurd. 

Being able to stay with Anziano Hatch and Stevens was such a blessing. Anziano Stevens told us that he was an Elders Quorum President twice, a Bishop Twice, a Stake President for 9 years, he sang in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir for 6 years, he was a sealer in the Salt Lake Temple, and he has 4 degrees from the University of Utah. I dont know if I have ever met a more well rounded man who has lived a fuller, happier life. On Tuesday night the 3 of us ate dinner and talked for about 3 hours, and my perspective on the person I want to be after my mission completely changed. All night I was learning, and we laughed and cried together. Hatch and I were also able to call Daniel and Antonio in Caserta, and they are doing incredible. Antonio was baptized about  6 weeks after I left Caserta, and a couple months after that Daniels cousin got baptized. Now Daniels parents are taking the lessons. I remember when we met them on a Friday morning. We always to weekly planning on Friday mornings in the house, but after we said the opening prayer, we both felt that we should go visit a sister in the ward. We went and taught a lesson to her and her son, but nothing special happened. On the train ride back we met Daniel and Antonio. That was the first Friday morning of my mission I wasnt in the house doing weekly planning. Im so grateful that Heavenly Father can prompt his children to do certain things, if we are just worthy and willing to listen. 

Tuesday night I wrote this in my journal: As I was praying tonight thinking of what to ask Heavenly Father for, I had a stupor of thought. There was nothing to ask Him for, because I was at complete peace. When we feel his peace, we dont need anything else. 

We also had an incredible specialized training at Rome 2 that afternoon. There was a sister missionary serving in Rome 1 who shared some counsel that really touched me. When President Eyring came to the Vatican for marriage counsel, he visited the Rome 1 ward, and gave a promise to all of the missionaries. He said that as we tell people who we truly are (disciples of Jesus Christ), those who are being prepared to recieve the restored gospel will recognized us. The day after we got back we had a lesson with a Maltese man named Raymond. He is the nicest man I have met my entire time here in Malta. I could write a lot about him, but suffice it to say, he is awesome. When we started the lesson I followed the counsel that President Eyring gave, and it changed the whole lesson. There are no more humbling words I could ever say than telling people I am a disciple of Jesus Christ called to teach his gospel. Following the counsel we recieve every 6 weeks at zone conference reminded me of Naaman who had to go dip himself in the River Jordan 7 times, so he could be healed. It was so simple, and he didnt understand why, but when he humbled himself to do it, he was healed. I have seen the same thing by following the counsel of the leaders of the mission. 

Aside from the amazing moments of the week, we have had some awkward ones too. This week our hot water went out, and the guy we called up to come check it out couldnt fix it either. Elder Burkhart invented a new way to take a shower that has been quite interesting. We boiled a bot of hot water, mixed it with some cold water, and used a big pasta spoon to pour the water on us. On top of that, I sprained my ankle Thursday morning and had to do that hopping on one foot. We are going on day 4 of that, and it is getting old fast. I dont think the guy to fix it is free til after Christmas either. Its all good though. Second interesting experience of the week was getting a haircut from a guy who only spoke Maltese, and I had to take my glasses off and couldnt see a thing. I had no idea what he was doing with my hair. After the haircut I was so scared to put my glasses back on and see what he did. It wasnt too bad though. 

This week finished with some awesome lessons as well. One of which was teaching Paul with our friend Chati. Chatis testimony at the end of the lesson, was so powerful. He said, "I know that as you keep saying your prayers, reading your scriptures, and get baptized that things will go well for you my brother. They have for me, and I am not who I used to be." I will never forget that. Paul has a baptismal date for the middle of February, and he is very excited about it, and so are we. 

After this week I have a new favorite scripture in the Book of Mormon. It is in Ether 2: 24-25, and it says, "For behold, ye shall be as a whale in the midst of the sea; for the mountain waves shall dash upon you. Nevertheless, I will bring you up again out of the depths of the sea; for the winds have gone forth out of my mouth, and also the rains and the floods have I sent forth.And behold, I prepare you against these things; for ye cannot cross this great deep save I prepare you against the waves of the sea, and the winds which have gone forth, and the floods which shall come. Therefore what will ye that I should prepare for you that ye may have light when ye are swallowed up in the depths of the sea?" 

It made me think of my mission. I know that every storm of rain, wind, and wave has been sent because God loves me and is blowing me towards the land of promise. But the most beautiful thing is that we can always of light even when we are swallowed up in the depths and that is only possible because of the Savior Jesus Christ. His love and care are constant, but we have to ask in faith for that light to be shown to us in some way.I truly do know that we can be happy every single day of our lives as we remember him and follow him. I hope everyone enjoys the Christmas video by the church, "He is the Gift" and really does think about that during this upcoming week. Merry Christmas!

Presbiteru Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger