10.27.2014
This week we had the responsibility of planning, preparing, and carrying out a Halloween party at the church for about 45 people. It was a great learning experience to say the least. We spent 2 full days, buying stuff, cutting stuff out, decorating the church, and making food-a lot of stuff missionaries dont usually do. Anyways, the party finally rolled around Thursday night. It was 3 hours long, and all 4 of us were busy serving food, running games, making announcements, and trying to talk to everyone who came. It was a little overwhelming to say the least. Over the course of the night I was told what do/complained to at least 20 times. At the very end of the night an 8 year old kid came up to me and said, "Thanks for everything. that was an awesome Halloween party." If it wasnt for that, I probably would have gone crazy. But because 1 little kid said thank you, I was calm and happy we did the whole thing. Now that I have run one party, I will be sure to thank the host of every party I go to for the rest of my life.
This week was also special because a family of 5 came to visit the island for the whole week. The husband and wife both served here as missionaries 12 years ago. They were excellent missionaries, and they baptized many people here in Malta. Unfortunately, most of them are not attending church any more. 12 years ago there were about 60 members in Malta, and now there are 30. On Sunday the sister shared her testimony of how she knows the church in Malta will grow bigger than it was 12 years ago soon. She said, the theme for the missionaries in Malta was "miracles in Malta," and one of the biggest lessons she took away from her mission was that miracles have not ceased and will never cease as long as the children of men have faith, just like Moroni taught in the Book of Mormon. It was a really sweet testimony meeting, and I felt a great desire to have more faith to be able to find and teach people here.
Sometimes I laugh on the street or on doorsteps when we are out proseyting, because the most common rejection is, "Im not intersting ta' (Im not intersted in Maltese style English)." This couple cracked up when we told them, because they said it was the same phrase 12 years ago. They are the same people, and they always will be. The only factor that changes is our faith to make miracles happen. They thanked us for their efforts and told us that their kids, as well as their ex-companions, and they themselves pray for the members and missionaries here in Malta each night. It was really comforting to hear that, and definitely made me want to work harder. Another good week.
Presbiteru Smith
Rome Time
No comments:
Post a Comment