PAGES

SOCIAL

Caserta | week 14 {mission conference, Rome, 14 investigators at church}

Monday, March 3, 2014

At the top of a castle in Napoli 


Naples, Italy





View from the castle 

Castle in Napoli

Antonio and Daniel 


Pasta da mano


3.3.14

This week was incredible. It started of by having a mission conference in Rome for Rome East, Rome West, and the Napoli Zones. There were about 80 missionaries or so which was awesome. It was the most I had seen since the MTC. It was a really special experience because we had Elder Allen come who is part of the Missionary Department of the church with Elder Bednar and another general authority I cant remember right now. Anyways, he took us through Preach My Gospel for 3 hours and inspired all of us so much. At the beginning of his talk he told us not to take any notes unless we were writing down something that we would change/put into practice. I left with two full pages of notes. He was seriously incredible and gave me such bigger vision of what it truly means to be preaching this gospel in the land in this time. I will never forget it. 

This week Anziano Hatch and I met with so many people I dont know where to begin. Friday we went to Maddaloni to visit Sorella Bove and her son Mimo. Sorella Bove is a really strong member and her son comes to church with her almost every week. We are close with him. Anyways, we were talking about faith and asked Sorella Bove to share some experiences in her life about when she showed her faith in Christ and how she was blessed afterwards. It was incredible. On the train back to Caserta we met these two kids named Daniel and Antonio who are going to college in Napoli. They were so cool and we ended up meeting them in church Saturday morning and teaching them a lesson that went really well. It was one of the first times I have taught someone my age on my mission which is a totally different experience because I can relate to them a lot better. That was one thing Elder Allen told us at the conference. He informed us that we were young kids who couldnt really relate to adults who have seen a lot more of lifes challenges. Then he talked about how we need to strive to bring members to as many of our lessons as possible so they can relate to other families better. Anyways...Antonio and Daniel were awesome. We invited them to the Elders Quorum activity that night which was pizza and they came. I sat next to them and they were making me crack up all night with Chuck Norris jokes. They also came to church the next morning and Antonio brought his mom. Incredible. He is cool enough to bring his mom. I have no idea where these kids came from. 

We have also started to get a lot closer with our English Course. Two students named Salvatore and Rosaria told us that they wanted us to come over to their house on Sunday for pronzo and we gladly accepted. They came to church on Sunday morning with their friend Veronica, and then we left right after to have lunch with their whole family. It was the first time I have eaten pasta made from scratch on my mission and it was unreal. It was a different league from the pasta I have been eating which was already in a different league. Their family was so nice towards us, and wanted us to come back next week to explain more about the Book of Mormon and stuff. They make pasta from scatch every Sunday and said we are always welcome. Unbelievable. 

We saw Vincenzo several more times this week and he continues to be the man. I have never seen anyone with a stronger desire to change and become better in my life. Duxon (friend of Adam who got baptized) had us over for a lesson last week and we ended up teaching him and 3 of his other friends he had over. That is one reason why I absolutely love him. He is not afraid at all to share what he loves with his friends. He doesn't make it awkward or uncomfortable at all. They all have so much love for each other and just want the best for everyone. Another example of that is my boy James Prince. He showed up to church on Sunday with his friend Augustine. Unreal. Church was incredible this week. Between the 4 of us, we had 14 investigators in church and everyone who shared their testimony threw down. It was the first time for a lot of them to attend a Mormon church and they said they liked how our program was done by the members and we didnt read all of the talks. Right then we had a girl from the primary about 8 years old get up and share her testimony. That was awesome. 

Anyways, all continues to go well. Anziano Hatch, Tingey, and Heder rock. Today for pday we went to a castle in Napoli and it was pretty. Nuff about that. If I could leave any counsel or advice from what I have learned on my mission so far it would be follow the counsel of the prophet. As missionaries we are involved with helping people come closer to Christ all of the time. I have seen how when people follow his counsel they are blessed. Almost every problem I have encountered could have been prevented by following his counsel. This is very simple but very true. Especially his talk from last General Conference in priesthood session about home teaching. This may seem strange, but I have really come to understand how hometeaching with love is not only good or important, but necessary. That is a simple lesson that I have learned on my mission that I really dont think I could have learned anywhere else. Its a great blessing to be able to get to know so many investigators, members, and less active members everyday. As a missionary, you have most peoples respect and they open up easily to us. It is so clear that when people put the gospel as the center of their lives and serve faithfully, they have more peace in their homes and confidence in their relationships with God, their family, and friends. When they dont, there tends to be a lot more problems. I want to share my testimony that I know that this is Church of Jesus Christ led by a living prophet. When we have faith and follow the commandments, we recieve blessings immediately and long term. Ciao!

Anziano Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger