PAGES

SOCIAL

Caserta | week 13 {"another surreal week in Caserta"}

Tuesday, February 25, 2014






View on the ride back from Laura's house 





 "drenched after we got caught in a rainstorm running home from church to make it home on time"

Laura and her family

 Vincenzo doing missionary work with all of his friends at the station


Baptism pic with President Miller





Vincenzo and James Prince

Regan's words... "funniest pic I have ever seen in my life. #chastitypamphlet"


Napoli! 


Garbage cans in Italy 

 "Anziano Hatch's Cousin. Small world. Laura's son is serving in the same mission"


"This is Vincenzo sitting next to and teaching Luigi about the Book of Mormon. Unbelievable."

 Walking to the baptism



2.24.14

Anziano Hatch and I had another surreal week here in Caserta. I think I wrote a little bit about James Prince last week, but whatever I said was not enough. The man is flat out incredible. We saw him on his bike Wednesday around 10 and he ended up teaching with us all morning. One of the lessons we taught with him was to a man named Duxon. He is best friends with Adam who just got baptized in Pozzuoli on Saturday. Adam has been a great example to him and Duxon and wants to get baptized as well. Anyways, James Prince was awesome in the lesson and we are definitely going to try to have him come teach with us as much as possible. We were thanking him for helping us after lunch and I will never forget what he said: No problem. It is my duty and occupation to evangelize with you guys. Absolutely incredible. 

The biggest miracle of the week was meeting a man named Vincenzo at the train station last Sunday night right before we went to the Martinsons for dinner. We were getting on our train and he came up and asked to talk for a minute. We got his number but did not think much of it at the time. We met him last Monday, and we found out that he met with the missionaries a year ago for a two month period. He said that he wasnt ready to commit to anything at that point, but he remembered what he felt when he came to church and met with the missionaries said he really wanted that back. He told us that he is willing to meet with us every day because he really wants to know what he has to do to change his life around. This past week we have met with him 5 times and he has referred us to 4 of his friends. It has been incredible. I remember after our second lesson with him we were walking him back to the station so he could catch a train home around 7:15. He saw there was another train at 8:40 and asked us what we were doing until then. We said nothing and asked him if he wanted to get a gelato and play some ping pong in the church or something. He was like, "No, but do you have another church film we can watch?" This was right after we watched Finding Faith in Christ. I have never met someone more hungry to learn the gospel. Another thing about Vincenzo is that he knows literally everyone in the city of Caserta, including some of our members. I have seen 3 people offer him cigarettes and they have all made fun of him when he says he doesnt smoke anymore. He just started sharing his testimony with them and was handing them pass along cards that we gave him. He was like, call these guys if you want help too. I couldnt even believe what I was seeing. 

Saturday was easily one of the best days of my life. We went to Adams baptism in Pozzuoli and took the train up there with Adam, Duxon, James Prince, Vincenzo, and 3 of his friends. When we were waiting for our train, Vincenzo was just inviting all of his friends who were there to the baptism. I have never seen anything like it. After the baptism we all went out to get pizza at the place right by the church and it was really fun. We truly are amazing friends with our members and investigators here and I will miss them all really bad when I get transferred. 

Last night we saw another miracle. We were taking the train to Santa Maria where Vincenzo lives. When we got there all of the doors on the train randomly locked, and no one could get off. While we were going to the next city a girl from Canada heard us speaking English. She approached us to see what we were doing in Italy. We talked for about 15 minutes and said she would love to come to church with other English speakers since she doesnt know any and we are going to meet her later this week. Then we finally got to another stop and the next train back to Santa Maria wasnt for an hour. This lady came up to us and asked us who we were and what our church believed. That has never happened on my mission. Anyways we talked for a solid hour about the Restoration and she wants us to meet her family this week. I still have no idea why the doors locked up and no one could get of at Santa Maria the first time, but we ended up meeting two amazing people who are hopefully coming to curch next week. 

Seriously the Lord has blessed us so much this week. Anziano Hatch and I have not done anything to merit any of this. All of these people were just placed in our path, stopped us, or referred to us through other people. This week has  seriously been the time of my life and I cant wait to keep seeing these people grow. Also we are going up to Rome this Tuesday and we have a conference for all the Rome and Napoli missionaries with a General Authority. Im not sure who it is, but I cant wait. It will be my first time seeing Rome in daylight. I will also get to see about 70 or 80 other missionaries! It will be amazing. There will be more news and pics next week. Take care everyone.

Anziano Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger