April 6, 2015
Ill start of this week by venturing to tell a quick story of my mission to fix the shower since I arrived in Ragusa. So my first shower here consisted of mild temperature water dripping out of two of the holes of the shower head with no pressure. It literally took 25 minutes to shower with that quantity and pressure of water...so I called Fratello Chines who is in charge of the apartments for the missionaries in Sicily. When he came to check it out, the water started coming out a little more, and he said that was the best our shower could do without drilling a new device into the wall right next to our shower which would take a lot of work...so we agreed to deal with it. A couple weeks later I mentioned to President Waddoups that it might be a good idea to fix it, so the prolonged showers would not interfere with our study time in the morning. So, it was approved and finally installed this week. The two primary problems were fixed. Our water is now warm and the pressure works great. However, the new missile shaped device pointed towards our shower also seems to work as a fan blowing air on us as it provides pressure and heat to the water. Although there is a chilling effect, at least we can shower faster and thus get to our studies on time. I consider this a great success.
On a more serious note, Easter Week was wonderful for us as we had opportunities to share the message of the Resurrection of the Savior with many people. On Tuesday after English Course, we shared the church's Easter video "Because He Lives." When it finished, everyone started clapping. I thought it was a little strange, but then I thought of Mosiah 18:11 when the people clapped their hands with joy after Alma had taught the people about the baptismal covenant. They were desirous to accept it. There were about 25 students, 1 of which was a member of the church. Usually at the end of corso, the 1 member who comes or one of the missionaries offers to say the closing prayer, but this time one of the students offered to pray vocally for the first time ever. I know she volunteered to pray because she felt the Holy Ghost which gave her the desire to pray to God. It brings me a lot of joy to hear someone pray vocally for the first time. I have heard it quite a few times on my mission, and the feeling is a great joy every time.
(...Literally 2 seconds ago someone just walked in the church and asked if they could come to English Course. Thats another reason why our english course is so legit, is because everyone who comes always tell their friends about it. Almost every week at least 2 or 3 new people have come because they have heard about it from a friend. I have received like 4 member referrals my whole mission, and like 29473 non member referrals from english course. Service is the best.)
I have to say, the first weekend in April and October are by far my two favorite weekends of the year, and the one in April doesn't have anything to do with the Final Four anymore. There is nothing that brings me more peace and joy than listening to and then following the counsel of God's Prophets in General Conference. As I am nearing the end of my mission, it naturally causes me to reflect on my service for the past two years as a missionary - the ways I have grown, the blessings I have received, and the knowledge and testimony I have gained. There is no greater blessing, knowledge, or lesson I have learned on my mission than the principle of grace that President Uchtdorf taught in the Sunday Morning Session of Conference. When I was a kid, I had a picture of what my mission would be like: teaching lessons all day everyday, working with perfect companions to teach the friends of all the members, and being full of joy all the time. That is the reward I thought missionaries got for being in the Lords work full-time. In reality, nothing has been quite that ideal other than probably the food. I have learned that the mission is an opportunity to follow the Savior Jesus Christ and do what he would do if he were here. There are moments in which I have done all the things I dreamed I would do, but they have come "by and by" like Alma described (Alma 32:42). More often than not, missionary work is difficult, and it is sad to see so many people make fun of or reject the message that could bless their lives so much if they would listen. All it is for us a missionaries is an opportunity to get the slightest glimpse into what the Savior felt on his mission as he was "despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not" (Isaiah 53:3). Not only the Jews who crucified him, but each one of us has turned our own way at some point in our lives for which he had to suffer. That understanding naturally brings love and reverence for what he did for us. That love and reverence will lead us to obey his commandments rather than just expect it for saying we believe in Him. The mission has also helped me gain a great sense of gratitude for the sinless life of Jesus Christ. I mess up so many times every day. I can't comprehend how he lived without ever messing up once. More than living perfectly, he performed the Atonement so we could change and become like him through his mercy and grace. It is available to all who will come unto Him and be baptized by the priesthood authority restored through the Prophet Joesph Smith.
I truly do know that every good thing I have received in my life and on my mission is not because I deserved it or earned it, but it is because of Gods grace and mercy. With these lessons in mind, I have recommitted myself to offer prayers pleading for forgiveness and thanking God for his mercy and the gift of His Son rather than just asking for what I want or think I need...like an ideal shower.
Anziano Smith
Rome Time
No comments:
Post a Comment