The big news for the week is that I am leaving for Ragusa (in Sicily) on Wednesday which should be my last destination before I return home. It is always bitter sweet to leave as this is my 4th time to do so. Anziano Rasband and I have had such an amazing time together; I really do wish that we could have done more than 1 transfer together. He will be training a greenie who is Italian and does not speak any English. That will be a first in many ways for Malta, but I know the Lord was in that decision. It will be great to meet up with them at mission conference and zone conferences in the next couple months to hear about how the work continues to advance in Malta.
Speaking of the work going forward in Malta, President De Carlo had some great news this past Sunday. Someone from the church translation department in Salt Lake called him late Saturday night to inform him that he would be flying down to Malta in April to visit the branch and discuss the translation of the Book of Mormon into Maltese which could be approved immediately. The Book of Mormon in Maltese is the best thing that could ever happen for the missionary work on this island. I know that the future missionaries would learn the language much better than I did, haha. More importantly the Maltese will be able to understand the gospel in their own language. Everyone here is so excited and eagerly awaiting his arrival in April!
It will be hard to leave as I have come to love so many of the people here. The church is certainly not big in numbers, the faith these people have is something I will never forget. Most of them are from foreign countries and have recieved the gospel in a miraculous way. Others are still learning and preparing to accept it. Our friend Paul was not able to get baptized in February as he was working double time almost the entire month as he was preparing to leave Malta for Mexico, but he is already in contact with members in Mexico and will meet the missionaries there hopefully next week. That is one of the miracles of the church. It is everywhere!
I am really looking forward to Ragusa as well. My new companion is Anziano Di Donato. He is half American and half Italian, so Im sure he will be able to recover any Italian skills I developed before coming to Malta and also add to it. I have heard all wonderful things about the members of the branch there, and I have been told it will be the best food I have eaten my whole mission. More news to come about that next week.
Anziano Smith
Rome Time





No comments:
Post a Comment