9.8.2014
This week started off with a scary experience that ended up being a really big faith builder. It had to do with our spare keys to the car. About 2 months ago I lost the keys to the car, and we went to the mission office in Rome to get the spare keys which we have been using since. Last Sunday night, I got really scared when I realized that the spare keys were nowhere to be found. Anziano Blair and I looked around the house for a solid 30 minutes, and then we finally decided to say a prayer to find them. Almost immediately after I had the thought that they were in Francescos car, but I couldnt remember leaving them or losing them there. So Francesco works in Rome during the week, but he stays at Poggio Mirteto during the weekend (1 hour away) where his car stays also. We needed the key asap, because the office was asking for our mileage and that stuff cause it was the 1st of the month, and we did not want to say we lost the spare key. We told Francesco what happened and he came all the way down from Rome. Fortuanately, the key fell out of my pocket and was underneath the front passenger seat in the car. Afterwards, we ate lunch together, and Francesco said a prayer of gratitude that was really touching. I was really relieved we didnt have to go the car dealer and get a new key made, haha. I would have felt so dumb.
This week we also ran into a lady at the train station here in Passo Corese who is originally from Rome, but moved to Argentina when she was pretty young. She was a member there in Argentina for 26 years, but hasnt been to church since she moved back to Italy about 15 years ago. She still had her Book of Mormon next to her couch with pictures of the missionaries who taught her over the years. She told us her story for about an hour, and it was really touching. I remember in the MTC they drew a triangle on the board and explained it like 100 times. The 3 points were the missionaries, the investigators, and the Lord, and they taught us how our responsibility to the bring these people to the Lord. However, to do so, we also have to be in contact with his Spirit and we have to love them and help them come unto him. The whole point was that as missionaries, our purpose is the bring people to Christ and this way they will never fall away. If they are just attracted to the missionaries, the people, or the programs they are likely to fall away after a period of time. On my mission I have seen how everyone is imperfect (leaders, missionaries, members) - we are all human beings, but God uses us in our weakness anyways to do his work. However, we are truly converted to the Lord, we will be able to look past mistakes, forgive, and move on even when it is really hard cause it is what the Savior asks us to do. Much easier said than done, but everyone can find the strength to do it.
Last Saturday we got to meet up with Daniel (from Caserta) at Termini. He finished a test for BYU Pathways which is a program BYU-I is offering here in Rome. He is doing awesome in school and hoping to transfer to BYU Provo next year! That would possibly be the coolest that ever happened to me to be able to go to college with Daniel and keep up my Italian.
Last week we also had Zone Conference at Rome 2, and all the missionaries were talking about the upcoming transfer. Someone asked Anziano Blair if he was excited for a change, and I will never forget his response: 4 with Smith, thats the dream! It was so funny. I will never forget my time here in Rome 5 for the rest of my life. There have been hilarious moments, really spiritual/happy moments, and a lot of times where I thought of the Lords words to Joseph Smith when he was in prison: all these things shall give thee experience. All of the experiences together of have been an incredible blessing. Even when there is a really hard day, it is just like finishing a hard test or workout, when its done its done and you are really glad you did it. Anyways, I will do my best to treasure up the next 6 transfers I have left. The time here is flying, and I will be home before I know it. Until then, keep it real.
Anziano Smith
Rome Time
No comments:
Post a Comment