Anziano Gemmell
5.12.2014
This week started with some awesome scambi magic in Terni. We go there for an exchange once a transfer to work with the other elders. We helped them a lot and learned a lot from them as well. I got to go out and work with Anziano McClellan (aka McCmillionare) in the morning and Anziano Stephens at night. It was incredible. Right after language study, Anziano Stephens and I went to a park and the first lady we talked to was a lady from the Dominican Republic who moved here with her daughter a few years ago. She was really funny and extremely nice to us. We talked about the church for about 25 minutes and then at the very end we left her a pass along card for English Course, but we didnt say much about it at all. That night at 7 she showed up to corso with her daughter and friend! It was the coolest thing ever. The English Course at Terni rocks too. They have a member who is the coolest guy ever. Hes ripped and has long hair and speaks perfect English. At the end of English course every Tuesday he brings his laptop and speakers and teaches everyone an American song and then everyone karaoke's together. It is so cool. I havent seen anything like it my whole mission. Im kind of jealous.
This week we saw some serious miracles when we were finding. It was really humbling and taught me that I always have pray for inspiration to be guided by the Holy Ghost or I will never find those who are wanting to learn more about the gospel. Friday we went to Monterotondo to their downtown area and the entire city was just chilling there. There were food stand, preparing for a concert, people were shopping, ect. It wasnt a great atmosphere to stop and talk to people and a lot of ragazzi were making fun of us. It was kind of awkward, but I had a feeling that we had to be there. I literally had no idea why. I saw this lady walking towards us in sunglasses, heels, and a shopping bag (not usually the type who gives us the time of day), and I randomly decided to stop her. We talked for 30 minutes and she is totally searching for the gospel in her life. Anziano Gemmell and I were speechless as we were walking away, because neither of us would have ever wanted to do finding in that atmosphere but we were totally guided. The same thing happened on Saturday. We planned to take the train to Monterotondo for the morning, and we waited at the station for an hour and a half. 4 trains were suppose to come and everyone waiting was mad cause it was hot outside and the trains were messed up. We decided to stay in Passo Corese for the morning, but it was so hot and there was no one on the streets. We were just walking around aimlessly looking for anyone, but it was close to lunch and everyone was just inside cooking. We said a prayer that we could find someone before lunch, and then we totally did. We went to a park and there was a lady from Moldova who was a about 25 with her 2 year old son. She has struggled with her faith in God, but was really willing to listen to us. We didnt talk about anything other than the love of God and how is just waiting for us to come unto Him so he can bless us. She felt the Spirit for sure and promised to come to church the next day, but she wouldnt give us her number. Yesterday she didnt come to church and we were super bummed. Last night at 10:45 I was like 2 seconds away from falling asleep and the phone rang. It was her (Tamara) and she said she wanted to come but something with her son came up and she couldnt but promised to come next week. Anziano Gemmell and I were so psyched we talked until like 2 in the morning last night. Neither of us could sleep worth our lives. Biggest miracle ever.
Other awesome news. There was a Young Single Adult activity at Rome 1 last week for all the YSA in Napoli and Rome. Daniel and Antonio went and called me on President Crisciones phone! It was so good to here from them and they were really happy. I am so glad they have made some other friends in the gospel cause I know it can be tough to live the gospel without friends who support you. There faith to live the gospel in a city where the church is small is so inspiring. They are true pioneers.
Also, Saturday night we had Stake Priesthood meeting which was great. I leaned over to Gemmell and said, "If our members were true ballers, they would take us out to pizza or gelato after." There is no way Canzachi or Criscione heard me cause they were sitting on the other side. When the meeting finished, he looked at us and immediately asked if we wanted pizza or something. Our members are true ballers. President Criscione and Fratello Canzachi are incredibly funny, magnify there callings in the priesthood, have amazing families, and are always happy. They really are the best guys in the world. It is incredible to think missionaries have only been here in Italy since 1965, and all these amazing people have already been found, taught, and baptized by the missionaries. Thinking of that gives me the strength to keep going no matter how hard it is sometimes. President Kearon told us a couple weeks ago, "There are so many cultural, religious barriers between you guys and Italians that your only shot is the feelings they have when you testify." It is true. It is incredible to see the people living in a society such as this who are so converted to the gospel. And now they are getting a temple!!! Serving here in Italy has opened my eyes to so many things that is one of them.
I have one more piece of big news. Anziano Gemmell is getting transferred to Sassari in Sardegna Thursday afternoon and I am getting a greenie straight from the MTC! There are two greenies coming in. One is from Texas and one is from Maryland, and both of them look sweet. I cant wait to pick him up Thursday morning. It will be a huge learning experience for me to train. Im really looking forward to it. I will miss Gemmell too cause we have become so tight. I have more inside jokes with him than anyone and we have worked so hard together. Im excited to go visit him at BYU-Hawaii after the mission! That is happening for sure. He finishes in December, then he will be going there. Hope everyone has a stellar week. Take care.
Anziano Smith
Rome Time
No comments:
Post a Comment