PAGES

SOCIAL

Brindisi | week 17 {English course moves to Mesagne, usher fail, Rome Temple}

Monday, November 18, 2013







So this week we got some exciting news. Our members so how big our English course was getting and so they found a space where we can do it in Mesagne which is a little city that is about a 15 minute train ride outside of Brindisi. We got permission for the space this week, so on Wednesday we went to put up flyers all over the city we made in 10 minutes. We have already received several phone calls confirming the time and place so we are looking forward to starting it up this Wednesday. We have 1 member that lives in Mesagne (Sorella Crudo) who gives us an awesome lunch everytime we go there. It is a way cool city and cant wait to start working there more. Some of the best relationships I have formed have come from teaching English course and it is always a prime atmosphere to share a gospel message at the end of each lesson.

We have continued to visit Victor and Blessing on Saturday nights to teach Blessing the new member lessons and I continue to grow in awe of the faith of that family. I was talking to Victor after the lesson before we ate dinner. He told me one of the most touching things I have ever heard. He said his brother was really sick in the hospital a couple years ago, and he was visiting him. He told him, dont pray that you will be healed. God already knows that you are suffering. First pray for forgiveness and ask God to teach you how you can be better. Then thank him for the many blessings you have received. It reminded me of the story that President Monson told in his last General Conference talk. He is one of the most grateful people I have ever met, and because of that he is always smiling and having a good time.

Yesterday we had an awesome day at church. The Stake President came down from Bari and he is one incredible man. He started teaching about the "Hastening the Work" broadcast and the other missionaries told him I was there during it and he asked me to share with the ward what was said for a minute. His urgency to spread the gospel was inspiring. All was going well at church until sacrament meeting was about to start (we have sacrament meeting last) and President Casti asked me to be the usher. I was told that this included standing by the door to welcome people and step outside the door to make sure no one interrupts prayers or the sacrament. I did not think it would be that hard or I would make such a fool of myself. However, both times I stepped out no one came give me the sacrament so I had to walk all the way to the front both times. The second time, Samuelle (16 month year old baby) tripped on my foot and started crying. I started to help him up and lost my position on the door and people started coming in. It was unreal. It literally could not believe it. Anyways, the Stake President covered for me cause he gave an extremely powerful talk right after and the meeting was really spiritual.

Right after sacrament meeting 10 people from a branch got on a bus to go to the temple up in Switzerland. I would have given up my right arm and a leg and couple toes to go on that trip. They will be up there for 5 days or so. Im so glad for them. I also heard that the temple is projected to be completed my last transfer of the mission. It has been pushed back like 3 or 4 times but I really hope that this time it is accurate. There will be a 3 month open house or something crazy like that. I hope more than anything I can be a part of it, but more importantly help others get ready to go for themselves!

I am growing to love missionary work more and more. I meet many awesome and also interesting people each day. For instance, yesterday an old lady asked me how long the train ride was from America. I was not sure how to respond. Conversations like that always keep me smiling.

Anyways, I have heard it said that sacrificial love opens the windows of heaven I am certainly starting to see that here. It is a privilege to serve here each day and do my best to share these wonderful truths that have blessed my life in so many ways. Serving with other missionaries and members and getting to know the people of Brindisi has been the experience of a lifetime.
Love,

Anziano Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger