PAGES

SOCIAL

Brindisi | week 10 {Circus, Stake Conference, Zone Conference, Bari}

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Train ride to Bari, Italy for Stake Conference 



Pictures from last Pday when they went to a circus that came to Brindisi! 

Freaky! Tigers! 

Haha looks like a good missionary opportunity going on! 

Such a pretty horse! I'll bet it reminded Regan of America, specifically Utah :) 

More tigers at the circus 




This is my (McKenzie, Regan's sister) husband Rhett's friend Ettore Pappagallo that lives in Bari where Stake Conference was! He served with Rhett on his mission in Manchester, England. Small world! 

Ettore and his wife with Regan. He is SO nice and took these pictures on Sunday at Stake Conference and emailed to us :) He said Regan's Italian was really good too!



This week started off with an eventful pday. We went to the circus! Yeah you read that right. I had to call President to get permission. Kind of an awkward conversation, but it was worth it. A lot happened this week so I wont waste my time talking about it. I was pretty fun, nothing spectacular though.

The next day was Thursday and we had a bit of a rough morning. I was a bit discouraged and Anziano Pizza gave me the talk "The Divine Gift of Gratitude." I totally changed my perspective and decided I would say one prayer of only gratitude every day the rest of my mission. I did right after I read that talk and it immediately changed my day and whole week in fact. That night we talked to about 8 or 9 kids who were 14 to 16 years old. It was my first time talking to a group of kids. They were all smoking so I thought at first they would just make fun of us or something, but they ended up being super nice and asking some really intelligent/deep questions. We gave them english course bigliettini and hopefully they will come. We talked to another group of kids later this week and I have found that it takes a certain level of humility to talk with/teach kids because of the culture that surrounds them and the temptations which are in the world, most dont have a basis for moral standards. We have to be 100% real with them and let them know from our hearts that this is the way to true happiness. It took a lot of guts. I need to get a lot better at it though. That night something hilarious happened at English course. We were teaching a lesson on how to order at a restaurant and we made a menu which included the word "cheeseburger." Hearing Italians attempt to say the word cheeseburger about killed me. I felt bad because Anziano Alvey and I were both laughing uncontrollably to the point where it got a little awkward.

Friday we contacted that American family we met about 5 or 6 weeks ago. They live far away and are only free on weekends at night. It was amazing. The dad was home with his kids and we got to talk to him for about 45 minutes. We found out he served a mission in Argentina. We talked to him for a bit about his mission and it was way cool. He is just found out last week he is getting transferred back to Charleston to work but will still come back to Brindisi every couple of weeks. There was a poem Anziano Alvey gave me earlier that day that we read and discussed with him for the lesson. I sent it home to my family earlier today and they will put it up on my blog when they get it. It was an amazing experience. He said when he comes back to Brindisi he will bring back stuff to make tacos and he will bring us some nutter butters. I cannot wait for that phone call!! That night I thought about how God leads us to those children who he needs us to bless. My Italian still isnt very great at all, and I thought about the people I have taught. Verah, Victor, Blessing, and this man all speak English. Like .0001% of the people in Brindisi speak any English. Maybe that is an exaggeration, but you get point. He truly does place people in our path who he needs us the reach out and help. We are only on his errand.

On Saturday we taught Gery and Dedy and Gery said something that blew my mind. We asked him how he could know for sure that our message was true. He said that he has been meeting with missionaries for over 20 years and he knows how the moral standard in the world is decaying so fast and it shows in peoples eyes. He said that he can see light and purity in the eyes of every missionary who has been in his home the past 20 years and it is not a coincidence. I thought that was so powerful. It is amazing to be part of the this army of missionaries throughout the world! It was sad though; we had to end the lesson early to catch our train to Bari for Stake Conference.

Sunday was Stake Conference! It was bomb! There were so many children, youth, and young adults I was inspired. The church has a real solid future here in Italy and I saw it with my own eyes. I will talk more about the meeting at the end of this letter. Anyways, that day I met one of the coolest missionaries I have known yet on the mission. His name is Anziano Esparza. He is from Equador, but he has lived in Germany the past 10 years. He speaks fluent Portuguese, Italian, German, and English. I asked him how long he had been on his mission and he said, "I have no idea, I just enjoy every day out here." I asked again, and he literally didnt know. He is hilarious too.

Monday night was the highlight of the week. Anziano Kasper who is an AP came down to Brindisi and went on a scambio with me. I literally felt like I was walking around with the apostle Paul all night long. We left the apartment at 4:35 to go to an appointment at 5. On the walk there he got 3 peoples phone numbers. That is how many numbers I get on a good day. During the lesson we taught to two Romanian girls we truly helped them feel the love that the Savior had for them. I cant describe it in words. They asked us why we left home and paid to come here and walk around all day to try to talk to people. He then bore an incredible testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the truths that have been restored to the earth about the nature of God and how we are his children. They were both moved to tears as we prayed at the end of the lesson. We then did an hour and a half of street contacting. Once again, unreal. We talked to so many people and he applied to so well to each person according to their needs/interests. Then we had another lesson around 7:30 in which we taught of family of 8. There is mother of 102 and she has 6 kids who are around their 70s. They are amazing. We also taught them the full Restoration lesson and read some of 3 Nephi 19 about the Holy Ghost and Baptism. Once again, I learned an incredible amount from Anziano Kasper.

Tuesday was Zone Conference in Bari and I received a lot of amazing training. The assistants gave a really inspiring lesson on obedience. They taught with such power and authority that I really desire to develop on my mission. I was talking to Anziano Bird who is the other assistant after the conference, and he told me that he and Anziano Kasper have not had a pday in 8 weeks. That is consecration to the max. I have truly been inspired.

Ok, spritual thought for the week goes back to what our Stake President said at Stake Conference on Sunday. He said I have 2 questions which may seem contradictory, but they are not. First, Do you have the faith to be healed? Second, do you have the faith not to be healed? At first I thought I misunderstood his Italian, but then I asked Anziano Pizza and I understood him correctly. That second question is very deep. Sometimes, we will do our best to show God our love for him and do what he asks, and his answer may be no because he knows another way that is better. Maybe he needs us to have a little patience. In the end, we will all have times when there is situation or circumstance that is not right. In those times, we need to trust God when it is not fixed immediately. Even if it may not be fixed in this life. We need to press forward with steadfastness in Christ with a perfect brightness of hope as it says in 2 Nephi 31. We need be strong enough to keep our faith even if God doesnt heal us immediately. He will heal us and that is the faith we can never lose. 
Sincerely,
Anziano Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger