PAGES

SOCIAL

Brindisi | week 7

Wednesday, September 11, 2013


Anziano Jepson, Anziano Alvey, Anziano Smith, and Anziano Pizza


This week started by picking up the new missionaries from the train station. Their names are Anziano Alvey and Anziano Jepsen, and they are both legit. Our house is a lot different than before. I was very happy to find out that Anziano Jepsen is an awesome cook. He has been out a year, so he has learned a few things. Anziano Alvey is straight from the MTC, and he will be a fantastic missionary. He is really excited to be here and working really hard. 

So, on Thursday we met Jeri and Dedy who Anziano Andreason and Anziano Brown were teaching before they got transfered. They live about 2.5 miles away from our apartment, but it is so worth it to go and visit them. Jeri is an artist, and his house is full of his own work which is beautiful. They also live on the 10th floor of their building and have a  beautiful view of Brindisi. Most importantly, he has a really strong desire to come to know God. He and his wife are reading the Book of Mormon right now and they have made it to 2 Nephi 2. It was our goal to read with him, but we were having such a good conversation we did not get around to it. I cannot wait to get to know them better. 

Our visit to Victor and Blessings last Saturday was probably the highlight of my mission so far. It is funny how we come over as the missionaries and teach a lesson, but Victor does all the real teaching. He is the most grateful person I have have ever met. I truly believe the key to happiness is learning to be grateful for what you have. They live in very humble circumstances, yet he finds so much joy in providing for and leading his family down a path that will bless them all forever. Getting to know Victor has humbled me a lot, because I know that I have so far to go as a person. It has been an honor and blessing to help teach his wife every week. 

On Sunday I gave my first talk in church. So, I was really well prepared and had my talk all written out and I was ready to go. We show up to church and an American family in our branch asked Anziano Jepsen to translate for them. This was the first of my 7 weeks here there was a translator. They were on the 3rd row and it was so hard to concentrate while someone was talking whenever I did. Nonetheless, it was a good experience and I think everyone got the point I wanted to get across. My talk was one President Eyrings talk from last general conference called "We Are One." Love that talk. 

Sunday night we passed by Corridinos house. He has been on vacation in the north for the past 10 or so days. He was home, and we got to teach him about the Restoration. He was really receptive and wanting to know more. Last night we met with him again he started the Book of Mormon! We taught him before english course about prophets and the word of wisdom and he committed to live the word of wisdom which was huge. That is such a big step for someone who lives in this culture. His faith blows my mind. 

Monday night was kind of crazy. We met a guy on the street who heard us speaking english to each other, and he learned english in England a couple years ago. We asked him where we could grab a quick bite for cheap and he took us to his friends restraunt which was super cool. However, it took longer than we expected. The good news was the owner and his friends want to learn english and we are going back to the restraunt next Monday to have an English lesson and a spiritual thought. Should be good stuff. 

The most important lesson I learned this week is the need for a humble heart. The most humbling things I have ever done have been here in the last 7 weeks. Asking people to change their lifestyle (aka live the word of wisdom), teaching a bunch of adults english, and street contacting. These are all things that I never would have been able to do 3 months ago. This morning I read D&C 112:10 which says "Be thou humble; and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand, and give thee answer to thy prayers." When I am truly humble, God is able to guide my words and steps. Humility is key to recieve divine guidance and find courage to do otherwise impossible things. 
I love and miss you all!

Anziano Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger