PAGES

SOCIAL

Brindisi | week 3

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

In Lecce last P-day playing soccer with some other elders



This gelato looks amazing! 

Italian pizza looks so good! 

Regan's study desk in his apartment

They really love watermelon there!


First I would like to start by thanking those who wrote me. It seriously meant the world to me. As far as mail goes, I can get letters here at my apartment. However, every 6 weeks we have transfers, and I will not know until 3 days before if I am getting transferred. The next transfer date is September 6th, so if you are sending me a letter within three weeks of my next transfer, it would be safer to send mail to the mission office in Rome and the mission president will bring it down for zone conference which is towards the beginning of each transfer.

My third week in Italy followed a very similar schedule to my first two. Most people here go to the beach all day and come home at night or are on vacation. However, we did meet some incredible people this week that we hope to be able contact next week or the week after. It is easy to feel of the goodness of these people during a conversation that lasts only a few minutes. Honestly, I am very excited for summer to be over.

Last night at English course something big happened for me. So, as you all know, I am with Anziano Pizza literally all the time. It is a lot easier for me to understand him than Italians so usually can decipher what I should say based on what he is saying. Last night I was on the other side of the room, and a man who came started talking to me. I held a conversation with him for about 10 minutes with no help. This gave me a huge confidence boost. My language abilities grew a lot this week.

As far as teaching opportunities, we had our first two formal lessons this week that were great. They were both with members who have not been able to come to church the past couple months because of work. Our first was with a lady named Taurisano who is extremely kind and faithful. She invited us into her kitchen and told us she wanted to read the Book of Mormon with us, and we read Mosiah 5 to 7. She then gave us gelato and told us about her family. She is awesome. Next we met with a man named Richard who is equally as awesome. We got to know him and his friend Kwame a little better, and they told us they want to read the Book of Mormon together because sometimes they have a hard time understanding it. Desire is the first thing one needs to come closer to Christ, and I know he has a strong desire and a humble heart.

This week my testimony of the Book of Mormon has grown incredibly. Every night during our planning session we plan what we will study for personal study and companionship study. Each of these studies are meant to last 1 hour. Every night I planned to study 30 minutes in the Book of Mormon and 30 minutes in Preach My Gospel. This is what President Waddoups encouraged at Zone Conference. Every morning these week I completely failed at this plan because I could not put the Book of Mormon down. When 9 came and Anziano Pizza asked me if I was ready for companionship study I was kind of annoyed because I did not want to stop reading the Book of Mormon. There is a Spirit that will come into your heart which cannot be denied when you prayerfully and diligently study that sacred book. It is one of Gods most precious gifts to the world.

As far as other things are concerned, all is well here. As watermelon season is about to end, last night we each bought a 18 or 20kg watermelon. We have about 75kg of watermelon in our fridge. Also, we found a boss pizza place last night that is right next to the church. It is our new go to. We got out for pizza every Tuesday night after English course (Peve Pizza). That is pretty much standard throughout the whole mission. Also we have become pros this week at managing our resources. Between our 2 stovetops, washer, 2 fridges, oven, we can only have 3 on at a time or the power goes out. The only time this is a problem is during lunch. We have the system down now though. That is about it for the week. Also, last Wednesday we played Soccer in Lecce with the four missionaries there. They won 3 to 2. The series is still young though. They are coming to our field next week. Tomorrow is deep cleaning day which happens three times a year, so we will be cleaning our apartment all day tomorrow. Fun stuff. Take care at home. I hope all is well.
Love,

Anziano Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger